Tuesday, September 23, 2014

When He Calls

As you have probably detected from previous posts, our oldest son has begun his freshman year in college.  It has been quite an adjustment for our family.  But growth is not always easy, is it?  (Thus, the term "growing pains.")  Being stretched can indeed be painful.

So, with that in mind, let me share something I have learned during this time of change.  I teach private piano lessons.  We have a rule for our sons that I will not answer the cell phone during a lesson.  It's not fair to the students, or to their parents who are paying me to teach their children.  However, since eldest son has left the nest, any time I see his name on the screen, I automatically answer.  He's away from home, and needs his mom!  Thankfully, this has only happened once or twice.  He is very understanding when I say I will call him back in a few minutes, as soon as the lesson is done.  But even if I have to tell him to wait, I want him to know I'm available.

While considering this last night, I realized how often I have accused God of being a bad Father.  Not in so many words, mind you.  But I have definitely implied that feeling by my thoughts and actions.

Do any of these sound familiar?

- I was in a really tough situation, and called out to God.  He never answered.  (Or said, "No.")

- Many people were praying for this person, and they were not healed.

- This person has lived an amazing Christian life, and yet they suffer so much.

The thing is, when I hear these same protests from non-believers, I always have a ready verse or insight to remind them that God is always there, always listening, and is far wiser than we are.  "His ways are above our ways..."

Why don't I get that when it applies to me?

Let's think through this:

We say, "God is love."  And He is.

We say, "God is all-knowing (omniscient)."  And He is.

We say, "God can do anything."  And He can.

We say, "God is our Provider."  And He is.

We say, "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord."  And it's true.

We say, "Ask, and you shall receive.  Seek, and you shall find.  Knock, and the door will be opened for you."  And that is true, too.

So where is the breakdown?  God is still God.  He never changes.  What's the problem here?

I think it's a problem of perception.  After all, when our son calls and I can't talk for long, I have still heard him.  I just can't answer right away.  I don't love him less.  I don't care for him any less.

The honest truth is, all the easy "platitudes" and Scriptures I can spout off to others?  They are more than platitudes.  They are truth.

Even if I can't see the bigger picture, He still hears.  He still cares.  We are never alone.

Rest in that assurance today, my friends.

No comments: