Sunday, October 19, 2014

Back to the Basics

Just a few thoughts on this beautiful fall evening:

When our family became Catholic in 2007, I felt a bit overwhelmed.  With 2,000 years of history, there is a lot to learn.  So many wonderful saints' lives to investigate.  So many writings to read.  So many documents to study.  So many amazing resources to examine.  So many incredible prayers to incorporate into my prayer life. (If you've read any of my articles at Catholic365, you can learn a bit more about this.)

In the midst of all this growing and learning, though, there are a couple of things I have discovered that I think is super, super important:

-Don't forget the basics.

    1.  Though we attend Mass almost every day, corporate prayer and worship should never be a replacement for personal times of prayer and worship.  (This is a both/and, not an either/or...)

    2.  Though I hear Scripture read every time I go to Mass, it should not be a replacement for personal times of reading and praying through Scripture.  (Again, both/and...)

When I was an R.A. in Bible college, I had a bit of advice for the girls on my hall.  I repeated it several times in the two years I served:  Don't allow daily chapel to replace your personal relationship with Christ.  So for all of us, I extend that tidbit of wisdom.  Cultivate your love and relationship with God every day.  Happy Lord's Day, everyone!







No comments: