Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Least

‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’  Matthew 25:40

This is only a short portion from yesterday's Gospel reading.  But it says so much to us.  

Last night, I had the privilege of working with our parish St. Vincent de Paul Society.  Twice a week, our food pantry is open.  There are individuals available to help those who may have need with their rent or utility bills, and also helping with other resources (job search, community outreaches, etc.).

The temperatures in our area were subzero last night.  We still have several inches of snow on the ground, with many sidewalks not very clear.  One sweet lady had walked about two and a half blocks, and was going to carry four or five heavy bags of food, plus a sack of potatoes, all that way back--on foot, through the snow, in the cold.  I offered to transport her.  She was very reluctant, as we had "already done so much for her."  She finally accepted, though, and we were at her apartment in no time at all.  When she thanked me, and offered me a hug, it was my turn to gladly accept.  

When I returned to my car, I was so humbled.  I have often hear people speak of "seeing Jesus" in those to whom they have assisted or ministered.  That was my experience.  I felt I was not just doing it for that dear little lady, but for Christ.  I'm not sure I can adequately express the impact that short encounter made upon me.  

I do know I want to experience that again a multitude of times.







No comments: